Creative Commons License

« Previous post | Home | Next post »

Cashier’s Check Fraud

This scam involves a seller advertising a valuable item over the Internet. A “buyer,” often from a foreign country, contacts the seller about purchasing the item and states that he plans to use a cashier’s check issued from a bank/credit union in the United States. Then the “buyer” tells the seller that he either “mistakenly” sent too large a check, or that he will be sending a check for more than the purchase price. In either event, the seller is instructed to immediately wire the “balance” back to the buyer.

The unsuspecting seller then deposits the cashier’s check in their bank account. Under a federal banking law, the customer’s bank is required to make those funds available to its customer on the business day after the funds are deposited. So, the unwary seller is able to withdraw the “overpayment” before the check winds its way back to the bank that supposedly issued it (since it is fraudulent). That can take 7 days, or even longer. Of course, after wiring the money back to the buyer, the scam artist is nowhere to be found.

And you are out the balance you wired to the thief. Myth: cashier's checks are the same (or almost) as cash. No they aren't.

Category:
Posted on November 16, 2004 at 09:58 AM | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cashier’s Check Fraud:

Comments

i am currently in the middle of something like this. i was selling a watch for $550 and someone is willing to buy it. she is issuing me a cashiers check for the exact amount and said the reason she needs the watch so bad is because her grandsons birthday is coming up. but im kind of confused because all of the above stories say that they sent more than they should have and wanted the difference back...but in my situation she is sending me the exact amount, no more no less. but she does have horrible grammar, saying "thank you for your kind Gesture towards me" and "the check will be made delivered to you". i have saved every email from her because i refuse to go down for fraud. im only 20 and dont want a felony. please email me some advice because i need it. im not going to cash this check until i find out more about it.

Posted by: Darcy at Aug 4, 2006 9:12:37 PM

Wow - great site! Okay, above I've read the nearly gazillion scenarios of being contacted in this Cashier's Check Scam - kinda getting long and repetitive though. While I don't want to minimize the need for communicating all the ways this scam exists, and for everyone to avoid it at all costs, I'd still like to do something to "scam the scammers" versus just doing nothing at all - call it "emotional payback" if you will. Any ideas?

(Note: No suspected false cashier's checks should ever be cashed, I agree; spread the word!)

However, are there any safe ways to really tick off these scammers? Or, is there a website where we can begin posting the email addresses and/or names of any scammers using the standard email template containing the signature of these scams??

I heard about one guy who responds to these emails simply to see how many false checks he can collect (and never cash, of course!). He then replies to the scammer that he accidentally sent the bank wire, Western Union for example, to a receiving location rather far away from where the scammer instructed; the scammer then needs to drive to that far-off location only to find that he himself was scammed since no wire transfer was sent!

Another funny idea I heard was to sign-up at all the adult sites with the scammer's email address, so he'll get inundated by adult spam and other email garbage. Pretty hilarious!

Either way, even if simply collecting a few checks here and there to post on our walls, at least we can say that we bilked the scammers out of the FedEx costs needed to ship the false cashier's check in the first place! That puts me up ~$17 so far! HA HA
(Score: Me 1, Scammer 0)

Posted by: Jon at Jul 24, 2006 3:02:41 AM

Two foreign males appeared yesterday at a electrical motor repair shop and offered to buy a motor valued at $500.00. They advised they were from Charlotte, NC and would return in two days with a cashier's check on Bank of America for $12,000.00. DO you know of any scams like this where the scammers appear in person?

Posted by: Sgt Darnell at Jul 13, 2006 11:32:39 AM

I posted a room for rent on Craig’s list (so be careful the scam artists are luring there as well) and I had a reply from a guy in South Africa. He sent a picture of his son and had a story where his kid was moving to my area for school and wanted to have a place by the end of the month. The initial E-mail follows suit with horrible grammar on all E-mail…where the story was he would pay 2 months rent ($1400.00) but was sending the cashiers check for $4400.00…the difference was to be wired to his son for the travel to the United States. I was still looking for a roommate but told George to send me contact information for himself and his son, a time-table of when he was arriving in the area, and after I received that I would get back with him. Instead of getting any of that I got his picture? And even after I told him the room was rented he told me the payment was sent…giveaways on the check…a box number for the bank address and no phone number for the bank…that was enough for me to tear that garbage up…that and someone who was not driven by finding a place for his son than having monies wired somewhere OVERSEAS!

Below is the last E-mail before I received the check and tore it up-
George,

I'm sorry to hear about your associate’s son. I want to let you know I have another lady interested in the room for rent and as far as I'm concerned...the first person to give me payment that clears the bank can have the room. I'm somewhat concerned because you mentioned on an earlier E-mail this was being sent via money order and I don't know any money orders that can exceed $500.00. I also requested contact # for you or your son and a timetable of when he is scheduled to arrive to the San Diego and have gotten no reply to these questions. If the payment your associate sent is a cashiers check or personal check it will have to clear the bank first before I can enter into a contract
with your son to rent the room. I will contact you when the check arrives and we will go from there...but please give me some contact numbers or I will have to re-consider this entire situation.

Kent

GEORGE COLE RIVALDO wrote:
Hello ,

My associate send me an email to let me know that the payment as been mailed out to you by USPS regular mail and will be delivered to you in 3 to 4 business days, the delayment on payment was due to the fact that my client lost his only Son some days back . As soon as you receive the payment pls email me immediately and pls get back to me if you receive this message..
THANKS AND GOD BLESS
GEORGE

BELOW IS MY PICTURE

Posted by: Kent at Jul 3, 2006 10:08:40 AM

I deposited a cashiers check 3 days ago that I think was fake, I even notified my bank to put an extra hold on it just to make sure, I spent $1000 will they charge me with a crime for this or will i just have to pay the money back?

Posted by: Nicole at Jun 29, 2006 8:29:38 AM

I am so happy that I'm not the only one involved in something like this. This crazy girl keeps e-mailing me. I was trying to sell the lease to my apartment and she sounded interested. At first i thought "sweet, found someone!" that is until she started e-mailing me all the time telling me about her business that needs to be opened and how i'm supposed to help her out. i finally received a check from her that looks SO fake. Here is the latest e-mail after I told her i was NOT going to be helping her:

Hello Courtney,
thanks for the wonderful information but i'll love u to get it
deposited into your account immediately cus the payment has already been mailed in ur name which shows that no one else could cash it but u alone...i think u can assist me in the case...just get it cashed from ur bank and deduct $200 just for the stress that u've went through abt this.

I was intend openning a big store in the nearest shopping mall in the
state so i have been working towards it from here ....so i got some goods
which i need to move back to the state in regards of my store...so i will need
some cash to get them shipped,that was the reason am asking for ur full
hand in support...so i will really appreciate if u can cash the fund and send
some of the amount to the shipping firm through Western Union Money
Transfer...after this has been done, i would make sure the goods are
being picked up, then i can move back to the state.

Thanks again for the wonderful assistance but i could have ring ur
phone but i do not have your contact phone num, so kindly get back to me
as soon as u do deposit it into ur account....can't wait to meet u
Cheers
Andrian

TOTALLY CRAZY, huh?! terrible grammar, same scam as all the other posts, western union money transfer, etc. i'm SO glad i didn't fall for this. who can we contact about this???

Posted by: Courtney at Jun 21, 2006 11:21:45 AM

i got a call from a man who was hearing impaired or so we think. he wants to buy our van. it costs 2500 he wants to send over 5000.00 he said the delivery truck will arrive a few days after i email him back to let him know i got the check. we are still waiting for the cashiers check that he supposedly sent 2 weeks ago is this a scam you have heard of he says he's from new york has a ligit address but i'm still curious. if we find out this is a scam can't we get him into trouble?

Posted by: Heather at Jun 20, 2006 1:46:09 PM

I was also taken. The first time I receivd five money orders in the amount $850 deposited in my account and after a week I was told that they had cleared and then I received three cashier check for $2000 they found out that the cashier check was fraudlent before I used any of the money but I a stuck with having to pay the bank back for the five money back for the five money orders back after I was told that they had cleared.I received another cashier check in the amount of $4,800. There is no need to take it to the bank because I know that it is fraudlent.

Posted by: Hazel at Jun 18, 2006 6:23:39 PM

Hey Guys,
I have had the same thing happen to me twice. Luckily I worked for a bank, so I knew the warning signs without looking on the internet. I deposited four out of the five U.S. postal money orders someone sent me. I did not take the cash out. I then went to the post office the next day and they verified that it was fake. So I went back to the bank the same day, told them, they kept the checks to start an investigation. I think as long as you notify them before you take out the funds, you are fine. Once you take the money, I too find it hard to believe that they hold people responsible. Where I used to work let me just tell you this. The "Investigation" that is supposed to happen does not. The banks consider it more money to start an investigation, then the lose of the money, which they hold you repsonsible to pay back. Keep that in mind. Just give them the checks if you suspect something is wrong, but do not count on them ever trying to find that person for you. It will cost THEM too much money. I know because I used to work for one, but I guess it does not hurt to turn the check's over to the proper authorities, right?

Posted by: Laura at Jun 6, 2006 10:00:26 PM

I just recieved a Cashier's Check from the mail yesterday for $8000. I don't know why or how I got this check, I didn't do nothing, I don't know who send me this check, it didn't have a return address on the envelope. I think this check looks like a fake, because the word "VOID" appear on the face of the check, the color on the bottme of the check in front seem to be fading and not matching with the rest of the colors and patterns. At the back, it looks like it has been copied because its in black and white and there are alot of little black dots all over the back. Right now I don't know what to do, if anyone has any helpful suggestion, I would gladly appreciate it, Thank You.

FROM TOM, SCAMSAFE EDITOR:

Yes this is a scam no question. Don't attempt to participate in this scam, deposit or cash the check. you can destory the check, or you can also give it to law enforcement, although they likely will do nothing with it.

Posted by: Tou at Jun 4, 2006 11:30:16 AM

I listed my toshiba notebook on kaboo.com for $900 and today I got this email, it looked fishy so I started looking around the web and found this site. I'm so glad I found it because now I know what I am dealing with.

Email by jane_loves1@yahoo.com
My name is jane Wilfred,i saw your advert on KabooCOM (Toshiba Satellite 17" Notebook ),i
want to know the last price you
letting it out
for sale,and the certify payment is going to be through a certified
cashier check,you don't have to worry about the shipping,the check
which will be sent to you is going to inculde the money for both item
and shippment, so all you have to do is as soon as you get the money
you will be sending the excess fund to the shipping agent based in
FRANCE that will be coming over for the home pick up of the item at
your location.If this is ok by you, then send me your full contact
info. as it is going to be written on the payment to.Thanks and hope
to do morebusiness with you in years to come.
Jane

I can't believe I almost fell for this. Does anyone know if this happens nationally, you know like people from the USA instead of foreigners?

----------------------
Jane,

Yes, this definitely happens within the US, not just from foreign countries.

--Tom
Editor, ScamSafe.com

Posted by: NovaPikz at May 23, 2006 11:30:07 AM

what are our banks for? You ask them to check our the check to make sure it's legimate before depositing it because you have questions about the larger amount and they do so. With no money in your accouht to cover it and then they find out it's no good and want you to take out a loan to cover it. Funny they made it available that day. Shouldn't you be able to have trust in your banks that they are there to to take care of your money and account.

Posted by: theresa at May 23, 2006 12:24:06 AM

Two weeks ago, Supposedly companies overseas want to hire people in usa to be their representatives and earn 7% or 10% and wire the rest through either western union or money gram. I received from one person named Robert Salt three US Postal money orders for $850 each and another person named James or Jason Schoolman eight moneyorders from Walmart for $925 each. Almost $10,000 in counterfeit money orders. Mr. Salt had it in the envelope from Republic du Benin and Mr. Schoolman shipped it through fedex. The post office where I asked them if it was real showed me what their money orders look like, and it was definitely fake. They confiscated them. The ones from Walmart, I asked the bank manager at Key bank if they were real, and they said if the money orders from walmart were real, there would have been an 800 number on the back. Yesterday, I received on May 11, 2006; from Republic Bank a cashier's check for $4,800 from Joe Lambert, whoever he is. I don't know what it pertains to, just sent out of the blue with my name on it sitting in my lap now, I got ahold of that bank by email, and haven't heard from the bank yet, but it does exist. The envelope was from Republic du Benin. There was no note or anything with it to tell me what they wanted done with this check. I also received from fedex yesterday, ten american express travelers cheques for $500 each. I still have them. Key bank did confiscate the money orders from walmart by the way. I was very thankful I didn't get into trouble. The traveler's cheques are supposed to be bank of america stuff. I will most likely go to the police station to see if all of those are real. If you're interested in replying to my email feel free. Thanx... I'm sure I'll get more of these "bad funds" in the future.

Posted by: teri at May 11, 2006 10:10:53 PM

Rebecca,

There's no question in my mind that this is a scam. You are right. Do not deposit or cash the check. You can get in serious trouble. If you want to can provide the check to the police or the bank manager and let them know you received this without any knowledge of why it was sent.

Posted by: T at May 4, 2006 6:30:36 PM

I am writing because this site is very interesting and I just recieved a check in the mail today from the Rebublique du Benin and the Cashier's Check was made through Woodforest National Bank for the amount of 4800.00 dollars and it say Remitter: James Davis whatever that means...I have a feeling it's a scam because why would anyone send me a check for 4800.00 for nothing and I don't have a Bank account so I can't do anything with it anyway...stupid scammers think there so smart...I mean just to recieve 4800.00 in the mail from some foriegn country for no reason don't sound right to me.

Posted by: Rebecca at May 4, 2006 4:55:04 PM

Just got a check for $5,350. I knew it was a scam...the potential "buyer" just kept emailing me with his bad grammer and mispelling emails. I took the check to the bank told the security officer it was fraud he double checked and confirmed my feelings. Now I am off to the State Police armed with all the info. Not expecting too much of an investigation even though I have done most of the work for them...tracking every ISP on the net and documenting them all as they came.
Anyone have any progress with their local law enforcement agencies? I would be curious to hear....

Posted by: Shari at Apr 26, 2006 9:22:09 PM

Jim,

Go to your local police and file a police report. Try to pull together every piece of evidence beforehand. Make notes of everything that happened before going to the police, so you have a clear consise story to tell them. Do you have any information from this person, emails, phone numbers, canceled checks. Make copies of everything and give the copies to the police. Get a copy of the police report!

What is his email address? With a police report, you might be able to get his ISP to send you his records for his account. This could lead you right to him. I wouldn't expect to police to investigate this too aggressively, so you might need to take the initative here.

Also, contact your bank and tell them you are a victim. Ask to talk to a fraud investigator. Send them a copy of the police report. See if they will replace the money you lost (highly doubtful). If the cashier's check isn't fraudulent, then the issuing bank might be able to lead you to him as well. The trail isn't cold yet, don't give up.
--Tom

Posted by: Tom at Apr 8, 2006 9:44:36 PM

I got a major problem. recently i sold a exspensive car cheap to someone. It was on ebay but they didn't buy it on ebay, they bought it in person. They came to my house and gave me $1,000 cash and $2,000 cashier check. Iput all the money in my account and about a week later i saw they put a stop on the $2,000 and they charged me $20 to stop it. Now i cant get hold of the kit and he has my car and title! What can i do! I only got $1,000 for my car instead of $3,000

Posted by: Jim at Apr 8, 2006 11:07:28 AM

Brooke,

You should NEITHER cash it OR continue the chain. Here's a novel idea: DO NOTHING. Throw the check away or give it to your bank or law enforcement. If you attempt to cash a check you know to be fraudulent, you are committing a crime. You can be arrested and convicted.

Posted by: Tom at Mar 21, 2006 7:57:17 AM

i was just wondering i got a 4800 dollar check in the mail its spose to be like a chain letter what should i do cash it or continue the chain

Posted by: Brooke at Mar 20, 2006 9:53:00 PM

I was robbed of a $2500 camcorder the other day. I sold it to a woman and she paid me a with a cashiers check. It was a great fraud the bank told me. Are there any victims rights with these types of thefts. I was banking on that money to pay down some debt, including what I still owed on the camera.

Posted by: Hurley at Jan 31, 2006 5:02:32 PM

Hi, I just found this web sight and I am very curious about it. I have a horse for sale on horsecity.com and there's man from the U.K. named Greg Scott and I am trying to figure out if he is on the up and up or scamming. How can you tell? He gave me his address and he said he owned a shipping company and wants to send me a cheque for her but I need to know if he is on the right side of the law. Can anyone there help me with this issue? Hope so see ya Terri

Posted by: Terri Sluder at Jan 31, 2006 1:30:57 PM

To all if you have a cashier's check that you believe to be fraud call the issuing bank yourself do not ask the bank to do it. My bank threatened to arrest me just because I asked them what to do with a fraudulent cashier's check.

Posted by: Sam at Jan 27, 2006 5:43:23 PM

We had been scammed by these ppl also. We had never really bought or sold anything on the internet before so we got scammed out of $3,000. Nothing ever happened since we paid the bank back.
Then I was so mad at what they had done that I decided to "Scam the Scammer". I decided to leave my ad up there for our Pomeranian and wait for more stupid people. I had ALOT of them contact me. I just go on with the whole thing, let them mail me their checks and then do nothing. The lady who scammed us with the first check even sent a second check, it was that same day that we got it that the bank got a hold of us and told us the first one had been stopped. So, I laid in to her big time, of course you will never hear back from them again. It's fun though to tell them that you got the payment and then write them little emails like, "What do I do now?" "Where do you want me to send it again?" Just send little emails, then at the end say something like, "Oh man, I went to the casino last night thinking I could win more with the money and I lost it ALL!!" That REALLY makes them mad :) Or even just tell them that you just don't feel like sending it. The second scammer that I had been talking to sent me a check and it is now with the FBI :) They are working on trying to get these scams stopped but I don't really see that happening. I had written the news station here where I live and they did a segment about it. I wish everyone would know about this. You feel so devastated and used, just a lot of feelings when you get scammed. Don't worry about them having your address, your phone number or anything else....they're in bum f****ed egypt! They're not going to do anything about anything!! They never wanted your merchandise that you were selling to begin with, they just want to use you to cash a check for them. And when they threated with the FBI, just laugh at them. What are they going to do??? Tell the FBI, "Well, I was running this scamm and they didn't play right?!?!" I don't think so! The FBI told me that they have even printed up a fake FBI letter head but don't get scared by that either. They will not show up at anyone's door! Just do what I do, collect the checks and money orders, frame them and put them on your wall and see how many pretty ones you can get :) We even got one that had the amount in the left hand side that was made out for $2,000.00 and it was spelled out, Seven Thousand Dollars And No Cents.......Yeah, you have NO SCENTS all right!! Dumb people! They crack me up. If you have been involved with a scammer before, you can spot their emails a mile away! Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true.....it IS too good to be true!
I have delt with the following names:
Mary Williams
Sandra Gardner
Kerry Brown
Steve Joe
George Cole
Demsy Thomas
Dennis White
Jimmy Smith
Delon Nelso-I delt with this guy for a long time. In the end I told him I was leading him on, cussed him out and then later told him I wanted to earn money doing this with him. He was stupid enough to email me back and say OK! Here's what you do.....how stupid can you get?!?! Of course I didn't do any work with him, I just wanted to see how far he would go. Desperate people out there!

If anyone has any questions you can email me at Phxazgirl29@cox.net.

Be Safe All!!!
Have A Happy New Year!!
April

Posted by: April at Dec 28, 2005 12:03:39 PM

Have a situation similiar to others posted here. I had a hunch from 'get go' that my saddle response was not a valid one. The language did not flow correctly. Also the 'interested party' did not ask any of the 'normal' questions pertinent to being interested in my particular item. I guess I followed it with my eyes wide open more out of curiousity more than anything else. I did receive a cashiers check 'from' the Credit Union of Texas for almost twice the amount originally 'agreed' upon.
I searched google for this credit union and retrieved their contact info. This morning I called and told them I figured I had a counterfeit cashier's check. Was asked to read the # in the upper right-hand corner to them. She said that there was NO such # on file...as I figured. Now I know for sure. Soooo sorry some have been taken, money comes hard and already flies out of hand easily just with normal living...........

Posted by: Kitt Jenae at Dec 7, 2005 11:26:34 PM

Looks like they're starting to target the UK now as well, here's an e-mail I recieved today regarding a bicycle I'm selling.

hello,
i am very happy to hear from you............as i have told you that the shipping will be take care of by me...i want you to know that i will be adding my shippers fund with your own asking price which means that when you receive the check you will deduct your own asking price and send the remaing fund to my shipper via western union...the check of 1500 pounds will be mailed to you when you receive the check you will deduct 300 pounds, 150 pounds for the item and the remaining 150 pounds for compensation which means you will be sending 1200 pounds to my shipper...
get back to me with the following details
full name
address
city
postcode
state
and phone number so as to enable te check to be mailed out as soon as possible
have a nice day

Posted by: Russ at Dec 4, 2005 8:01:43 AM

I was almost taken by these scammers. I got an e-mail about a job, as a payment agent. I decided to do it. I told the guy that I would not give out any personal information like credit card, or bank information. He said that was fine. About a week later I got package from fed ex with a check in it for $24,000. In the package was a note, telling me to take 10% out and send the rest to another individual in africa. Long story short I showed the check to my mother (i'm 25) and she told me "we are taking this to the police station" she said she had seen wedsites like this one about internet scam. And that is what we did. They informed me that the check was a fake, and I would have owed the bank $24,ooo if i had cashed it.

Posted by: Laverne at Nov 28, 2005 5:40:35 PM

i guess my only option would be claim bankruptcy on bank account.....any suggestions? i cannot pay these fees and amount of check. i live week to week and now struggling to feed kids. what can i do? no one seems to want to help but my family is in deed hurt over this scam. can bankruptcy help fix this situation?

Posted by: nicole at Nov 17, 2005 7:46:13 AM

same as above.....i have been vicitimized and bank will do nothing to help me but charge more and more fees on top of this check.

Posted by: nicole at Nov 17, 2005 7:41:22 AM

My husband has received a Cashier's Check($2,500) in the mail in the month of October finding out of we losted $1,90.00 that this check was a fraud.We now are over drawn from our bank and might be loosing our home because of this cashier check being a fraud. It happen to us again only this time the cashier's check came in my name of the amount of $2,500.This time because of we became victims of cahier's check fraud the last time I directly took this cashier check first to the post office and they told me to take it to my bank and the bank had a list there and the name of the check was on the list as a fraud so I asked them to take a copy of the check for me and my bank handed the check back to me and I handed over to my post office and they are now investigating it and if person is caught will be aressted to the fullest extent of the law. It was a value lesson for us to learn. We now are in the financially problems. I cried for days and praying we can save our home.

Posted by: Dorothy Parker at Nov 14, 2005 6:06:22 PM

This happened to me when trying to help a friend out and selling her wedding gown on my ebay account. Check was made avaialable so I withdrew the funds for my impatient friend who wanted the money to pay her own bills.

Several days later the check was said to be counterfeit and me, the single mom who was in between jobs has EVERYTHING plus some taken from her checking account to cover the counterfeit check. My friend who i tried to help tells me...sorry...money's gone, can't help ya (thank god she didn't send the dress BUT she can't and won't give me the money back cuz she paid her bills with it.)

My bank won't help me, called their fraud dept. FDIC won't help me, called them too. Ebay won't help me cuz these people aren't legitimate ebay users...so I am out all my money, plus extra and no one will help me or protect me. My son has been sick with a cold and I've had to borrow money from everyone I know to buy him meds and put gas in my car. Finally found a job, but i dont get a pay check for two weeks and whatever I deposit will go away to make up the different that I was OVER DRAWN when they took the money back.

I was thinking, hey, cashiers check, I'm good to go. Then this happens and there is NO ONE out there who wants to help you. NO ONE wants to protect you from this kind of fraud and the bank says, hey, sorry we make the funds available but we won't protect you when the check turns out bad and your out all that money and can't feed your kid or pay your bills.

So now what do I do? Ha, I'm still trying to figure that out. This is what I get for trying to help a friend then she too in the end "screws" me. I have a notice from the electric company threatening to shut me off...cable is already gone and my interent won't be open to me much longer...all because I wanted to help a friend. I was being nice and I get hurt BIG TIME HURT and there aint a damn person out there in our lovely government that wants to help or protect you when you're the victim of this widely spreading scam. They say Sorry you don't qualify under our guidelines of fraud protection...I've gotten this line of bull from EVERY SINGLE PERSON I CALLED. NO one cares that you can't feed your kid or pay your bills because every inch of your livelihood was robbed from you for being a nice person.

Well I learned the hard way that no one else is going to be nice to you...so i'm no longer being nice to anyone else.

Posted by: Melissa at Oct 27, 2005 3:57:00 PM

i had a motorcycle for sale on ebay, was asked what the reserve price was, told him the price and this is what he said--

I am Joe, Director of Joe CARS INC, 1133 West Hastings Street Vancouer V6E3T3 Canada, a subsidiary of Atlas Inc . We specialise in purchase of auto machines for customers in and outside Europe and we get paid in commission, after payment has been confirmed by the seller to the buyer..

after a few days of not hearing from him i had sold the bike..he than told me...

I have finalized issues with my customer now. He has
just informed me that he is expecting a refund
payment, of a bike that he had earlier ordered and
paid for before, but the order was later cancelled,
because when the agent who went for the pick up of the
bike, inspected the bike, he discovered that
bike was not in any good condition, so my he
cancelled the order and he then filed in for a refund
of his money.
My customer intends use this his refund to pay for
this your bkie that he has now ordered for. And due to
company policy and book keeping, this refund payment
which he is expecting, can only be made out in this
one whole amount, that is, the full amount that he
paid before because the company policy only allows a
refund payment in one cashier check, so he has to
instruct for the check payment to be drawn to you. So
he has informed me that payment will get to you in a
cashier check.
He is expecting a refund payment of $6,500.00, When
payment gets to you, you are required to deduct the
cost of your bike which is $1,500 and return his
remaining balance of $5,000.00 back to my customer for
him to be able to offset shipping charges and other
commisson charges.
After all payment has reached you and balance sent
back to my customer, the agent will come for pick up,
while you send other the reciept and other title
papers to my client via courier.
You are required to forward your payment information
(1) name, (2)address and (3) phone number for payment
to be delivered to you immediately.
Joe.

than he sent me this email..

Hi,I am so dis appointed recieving your mail.I thought I replied all the mails you sent me.
I have been out of town and only came back yesterday.
I had to horriedly searched for another bike for my client and just found one.
My client has adviced that I go ahead to purchase the bike.
Could you please cash this money since it has already been made out in your name, and send it to the shipper whom I have provided his informations.
He will pay for the bike and ship asap.
Thank you for your co operation,I hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks.

i have all the emails he had sent me...basically they sent a cashiers check to me in my name and needed for me to cash it for them, because it was in my name..it was for $6500.00, the bank had a 1 day hold and gave me the cash the next day. the teller told me everything looked fine with the check (i asked because i was iffy, and i also thought that cashiers checks were as good as cash and the teler said so too)..now a week later the bank has informed me that the check was a fake and that i owe them the money..i do NOT have that kind of money...i have all the emails from this guy...what can i do??

Posted by: rachel mahoney at Oct 26, 2005 9:27:32 PM

I think its good everyone comes in here and posts this stuff. I think it need to get out there. I am dealing with one of these people myself. The check is in the mail for $11,000, it’s for a $7,000 car. The extra is supposed to go to the shipping agent here. I like the idea of sending the monopoly money back, I might have to do that. I am till thinking of a way to flip the script and come out on top but it’s better to just not play the game of fraud. Thanks everyone.

Posted by: Renoir at Oct 22, 2005 8:12:37 PM

I am selling my Suburban for $15000. This guy emailed back and forth for 2 weeks asking questions and sounding interested. Anyway he said his "client" wanted it for his Son's B-Day. Sent me a cashier's check for $22,000 wanting the balance to go to the "shipping company". Of course its a fake cashier's check. I called the issuing bank and verified teh ABA# and when i read the check # and amount they told me it was a fraud.

I'm thinking about wasting his time now by sending an email that I made a mistake and mailed the funds instead of wired. And sending the difference via US Mail in Monopoly Money.

Any one have any other good ideas i can use to waste this guys time?

Posted by: Heinz74 at Oct 16, 2005 12:09:43 PM

I received this email and then received a cashiers check for $7K. When the potential renter said he wanted back money after initial payment I knew it was a scam. After I asked for identification etc, I did not hear back from him. I posted the ad again and received the same email back, but with a different email address. I am concerned that now he knows my address and name if there can be trouble later. When I went to the FCC web site to file a complaint, there was no way to send the complaint and no address to mail it to either. So much for government/official protection. I am saving the check which is written on a Virginia Bank. On searching for the bank online it came up with a different name. I will call Monday to ask about the remitter: Collin Neumann

the following is the original e-mail

Hello,steven fredricks [steven_fred101@yahoo.com]2nd posting;steven fred [stevenfred2003@yahoo.com]
I'll like to find out if the apartment that you posted for rent is still available,im sorry i actually tried to read the ad when my pc went off
and i had to restart it over again.please at what price per month as well as the deposit required .I just finished my degree course in university in
london and im relocating...
please get back to me with your response soon
Regards

The scammers followup email

Thanks for the details provided. I will really apprreciate you sending me pics for proper viewing of the house also i'll gladly like to inform you that my organiser after much deliberation have agreed to pay the requested amount of { $1300 PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST MONTH RENT PLUS DEPOSIT STARTING FROM MY MOVING IN DATE WHICH WILL BE ON THE 15th OF OCTOBER } while i'll be staying for 1 year which will also be paid monthly,While a cashires check will be sent to you for the payment.It might interest you to know that the cheque will be issued to you in an excess amount, in which the excess fund will be sent to me,after you might have deducted your original amount which is the cost of the rent as well as the deposite.
The excees amount is ment is for my traveling allowance,feeding and other expenses.
However the below information is required from you so as to have the payment sent to you asap ......
NAME ON CHEQUE
FULL CONTACT ADDRESS
HOME PHONE NUMBER
MOBILE PHONE NUMBER
I will be arriving on the 14th and moving in on the 15th of OCOBER and will be very honoured if you could furnish me with the details required above so that payment will commence.I am coming from the London UK to be precise. am 26yrs and a graduate of fine and creative art from the Metropolitan University london, i'm a very friendly person,i do not drink nor smoke.i look forward to meeting you.all paper works will be treated when i arrive and set to move in.
I awaits the details .soonest
Regards

Posted by: mary kracht at Oct 15, 2005 6:11:27 PM

This is so rediculous...I can't believe they use the same style of scam over and over. This is the third email i've received, each one from a different address. It seems the only way to stop them is to make people aware. This is an email i've received concerning a rug i'm trying to sell.

"Hello,

Thanks very much for your mail.The price is okay as long as their condition is still alright.I want you to kindly consider the Item sold to me at the moment and I will be compensating you with additional $50 if this is done by you.

As for the Shippment,I already have a Shipping Agent that will handle that for me as soon as the transaction is sealed cos I based in U.K

My method of payment is with a Certified Cashier's Check that is drawn from a American Bank and this is how the payment will be made at the moment:a client of mine in U.S is oweing me a sum of $4800 who I will instruct to issue out the Check in your Name.Although the Check is more than the value of the ITEM but I 'm wiling to trust you with the rest of the Money.

As soon as you received the Check and it clears your Bank or cashed,then you will deduct the cost of your Item + compensation fees while the remaining balance will be sen to my Agent via Western Union Money Transfer for immediate pick up of the ITEM.

If this is okay with you do get back to me with your Name in Full,Contact Address and Phone Number so I can instruct my Client to isue out the Check in your Name ASAP.

I look forward to your response.
Thanks and Best regard,

Patrick......."

Posted by: Ken at Oct 13, 2005 7:28:07 PM

I advertise tutoring services on a very small local net for the farming communities here in the Palouse area of eastern Washington.

Yesterday, a "Mr. Johnson Smith" e-mailed me regarding charges for tutoring his "son". After I replied, he e-mailed to say that he:

"will like you toreally tutor him
very well, the price of $10per
hour is okay with me.I want my kid to be tutored for 1 hours in 5
days a week for the period of 4 weeks which is($200)."

However:

"As regards payment, this is what I am going to do,iwill instruct my
attorney in the STATE to issue a state certified check in your name.
Although the value of the check is more than your charges I think, I should
be able to trust you with the remaining balance.

The reason why I am doing this is that it would take a check sent from
over here 60 days to clear over there,whereas a check sent from U.S would
clear tops within 48 hrs.

So I will expect that you send my balance to my
Personal assistantimmediately you recieve payment for your tuition so
that he can be able to arrange for their travelling documents to come to
the states and accomodation for the programe."

He then asked for my mailing address, so I gave him the General Delivery address for our local post office. I look forward to receiving his "check", and also to hearing from "Mr. Smith" by phone when he doesn't receive any "balance" from me. I hope to keep him on the phone at long distance rates for as long as possible.

Thanks for letting me know what this guy was actually up to!

-Tutor Who Didn't Have To Learn the Hard Way

Posted by: Susan at Oct 4, 2005 9:22:44 PM

My instincts were right. I have had several emails regarding some machines I had for sale. I responded, but took none of them seriously. I figured if they wanted to buy my "old-used" machines for more than they were worth "NEW" then it was obviously a scam of some sort. I figured it was money laundering by terrorists. Then, I decided to log in and search for cashier check fraud, low and behold, here we are. This goes along with the other fraud that some former political party in Nigeria is looking to move some money around that he/she "acquired" during some past war. I had fun with that one too. But, truly, be careful, I am a former investigator for several banks, I have seen some pretty creative fraud out there. This one is good, but still leaves you responcible. Save every email, a copy of the Cashiers Check, and advise your bank when you go in, if you go in, that this sounds fishy, have them check it out right away, DO NOT JUST CASH IT!!! Wait until they verify the funds are good, then go on your merry way. If they are not good, you can give all the emails to your bank to allow them the proof that "you" are not the fraudulent party. PROTECT YOURSELF FIRST. Report it to the Federal Trade Commission, (FTC). They may be able to do something to stop further fraud from that party, but of course we all know, they simply change email addresses and phone numbers and continue their practice. Just alert everyone you know, your papers, your news stations and other publications of what is happening. Anyone you can adivse and save, is a save.

Posted by: Rick at Oct 3, 2005 10:10:11 AM

This email was sent concerning the purchase of a Karastan area rug.

" Hello Saad,
Thanks very much for your mail and the pics and the price are very much okay with me and the arrangment on pick up will be taken care by my shipper as soon as the transaction is sealed.I want you to kindly consider the Rug
sold to me as I 'll be compensation you with additional $50 if this is done by you.
As regard the payment a client of mine in U.S is owing me a sum of $4500 who I 'll instruct to issue out the Cashier's Check in your Name,once you received the check and it is deposited at your bank and you will wait for the Check to clear your account to ensure that there is no fraud in this transaction then you will deduct the cost of your Rug include the compensation fees making $1200 and the remaining money will be send to my shipper via western union money transfer.If this is okay with you I want you to get back to me withe the following details so I can instruct my client to issue out the check in your Name.

*Name: to write the check
*Address: To send the check

I look forward to your response. Thanks and best regard.
Powell. "

This was actually the 2nd email about this same item. The email's were from different addresses but basically had the same content. Can anything be done about this?

Posted by: Ken at Oct 2, 2005 9:27:46 PM

WOW ALL THESE SOUND JUST LIKE TWO PEOPLE WHO TRIED TO PURCHASE MY CAR I WAS SELLIN MY CAR FOR 18,000 AND I GOT A CHECK SENT TO ME FOR 25,000 AND I WAS SUPPOSE TO WIRE BACK THE REMAINING 7,OOO AND AFTER THAT WENT BAD THE NEXT TIME I WAS SELLING MY CAR FOR 13,000 AND GOT SENT A 25,000 CASHIER CHECK AND WAS SUPPOSE TO SEND 12,000 BACK WELL I GUESS THERE ON ONLY A FEW HONEST PEOPLE LEFT IN THIS WORLD THANK YALL FOR THE INFORMATION

Posted by: warren at Sep 17, 2005 7:53:12 AM

Hey guys and gals...
I wasnt familiar with all this scam stuff until one of my friends pointed it out to me. She happened to sell her stuff to some guy that wanted to send a cashiers check for $2000 over what she was selling for. Needless to say she fell for it and was about to wire over the "difference" when she called to ask me "whats the quickest way to wire money?" I said say what? I finally convinced her not to wire the "difference" and the buyer began harrassing her. I told her to let me talk to him next time he called and she agreed. On my own instinct I told the guy that I was "Agent Johnson, Agent 2011 of Atlanta in the Fraud department" Needless to say he hung up and disconnected his phone. What about the money you ask? She kept the 2000 + the original 1000 that was cashed. It was a Bank of America check. This was over 4 months ago and no one has contacted her or 'vistited' her regarding the counterfeit check. What to do now? Is she a fugitive and doesnt know it?

Posted by: mike at Sep 9, 2005 7:21:28 PM

cort (and all readers),

NO way it's legit. Don't be tempted to get involved. Do NOT participate and don't be fooled into thinking you can get away with it. If you cash a check you're committing fraud and you'll be responsible for any financial losses. Your bank does not protect you from fraud. Your account is not insured against fraud.

--Tom
Editor, Scamsafe

Posted by: Tom (Editor) at Sep 2, 2005 1:32:36 PM

the same thing is happening to me what if this person is legit i doubt it but can i let him send me the money ? and then get it checked some how so i woudlnet get screwed or just tell him i sold it?

Posted by: cort at Sep 1, 2005 9:42:15 PM

We have been victims of this same fraud. We are out a lot of money, and I would say there is little to no hopes of recovering it. After going to the Police, the FBI, and talking to attorneys, they all say that is just too bad.

I suppose this is the all-time greatest scam for scam artists out there. Especially since banks willingly cash counterfeit checks, and willingly allow you to send away money from those checks before the counterfeit has cleared. Then, when counterfeiting is discovered, the person gets screwed when the bank charges them with the counterfeit.

I wish I knew what to do next.

Posted by: Vashti at Sep 1, 2005 4:38:38 PM

Wow...I too have been ALMOST scammed. I also posted an ad on the internet selling a car. I received very similar e-mails back from a couple of people wanting me to cash a cashier’s check for more than my asking price and send them the difference. I did some research and found out that this was a scam. Like people who posted before me, the poor grammar and context of the messages tipped me off. I also notified the FBI (forwarded them the e-mails I received with a note) and never heard a word from them. I wonder (like the rest of us) what they are doing about this.

Anyway, the reason I am posting today because I recently posted a resume on a job website and received an interesting e-mail back. Looks like these scammers are trying new tricks!!!

Posted on Career Builders. COM. Check this out....

Dear Candidate,

We have analyzed your resume and have found one job available for you to work at home right away with a guaranteed monthly income of $4,700 Monthly.

Work at home legit starting today! Don't pay several companies to buy kits or memberships!

No experience needed for this type of job other than the knowledge to access an e-mail and bank account. It does not matter what you do for a living, as long as you have 2-3 hours free every week.

We are a company based in Europe. We receive orders from U.S.A. and we need a representative to process the payments due to the delays in clearing cashier checks and money orders in Europe.

What we offer:
-Flexible program: two hours/week at your choice, daytime and evening time, mainly checking your email
-Work at home: checking e-mail and going to the bank
-Part time - no need to leave your current job - if you already work.
-Professional contact team with very good support and communication skills
-Other highlights: no selling involved, no kit to buy, we won't charge you anything
-Monthly salary: $4,700

What we ask:
-2-3 free hours weekly - not including weekends
-Internet access for sending and receiving e-mails
-Means for you to cash money orders/cashier checks at your bank using your existing bank account.

IMPORTANT:
-You must be over 20 years old.
-U.S. citizenship.
-Must own an existing bank account (we do not need the info of your account, just own one that is not newly created).

If you are interested by this type of job please ask for Representative Contract to begin.

SIMPLY REPLY to this email and ask the contract. You will also receive more details regarding this job.

The job is 100% legal in USA and all our sales activities are recorded at US work bureau.

Posted by: Julia Crow at Jul 31, 2005 11:10:19 AM

I was selling me horse on the internet for $1800.00 and a lady Named ANN NELSON, she had said she had owned her own shipping company and would ship the horse, but instead of only sending the money just for the horse, she sent $4500.00 to also pay for the shipping( why do i need to pay for her shipping when she owns the shipping company, as soon as she said that, I new it had to be a scam, and I found this website, it helps alot. I still have the check for $4500 Can anyone give me any suggestions about all of this, this is the first time it happened to me, and i don't know exactley what to do. Thanks

Posted by: Alicia Higgins at Jul 29, 2005 8:26:27 PM

Wow - I'm glad I found this site. Here is the series of emails I received over the past ten days from the potential "buyer" of my truck:
----------
Goodmorning Randy,
Thanks for the reply to my request on your Ad.I am sorry for the delay in repliyng your mail,i have been out of the office most part of last week on property inspection for some of my clients,but i am happy to inform you that i have concluded with my client concerning your vehicle after presenting him with him with the picture i downloaded from the Ad,and he has instructed me to proceed with the transaction at the agreed price of $22,750.All you have to do is to replace the broken windscreen before the pickup date.My client asked me to relate this arrangement to you,that he will be paying you with a cashier check of $30,000 which was an earlier cancelled order to be made to him,and due to company's policy that only one refund payment is allowed on a cashier check,you are to deduct the cost of the vehicle $22,750 and refund the agent the balance of $7,250.
Please this money is to mobilise the agent carry out his services for my client,pay for his expenses during picking up and transportation of the vehicle to my client.Please you are to confirm this and send me your NAME,ADDRESS and PHONE NUBMER so that payment will reach you.You are to keep the vehicle,title paper and other necessary document ready for signing as soon as you receive the payment so that arrangement for the pickup will commence.I will be waiting for your reply with the information so that we can proceed with payment.Expecting to do business with you.
My regards,
Joseph.

Hello Randy,
I AM SORRY FOR MY LATE RESPONSE TO YOUR LAST MAIL,I WAS NOT IN THE OFFICE THURSDAY TO SATURDAY,BUT ALL THE SAME I HAVE FORWARDED YOUR PAYMENT INFORMATION TO MY CLIENT,AFTER DISCUSSIONS WITH HIM,HE ADVISED THAT YOU SHOULD EXPECT YOUR PAYMENT PACKAGE VIA MAILAS SOON AS THE POSTAGE IS DONE I WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH THE EXACT DATE FOR THE DELIVERY.MY CLIENT ALSO INSTRUCTED THAT YOU MAKE THE VEHICLE READY FOR PICK-UP AS SOON AS PAYMENT GETS TO YOU.HE FURTHER ADVISED THAT YOU REMOVE THE AD.FROM THE INTERNET TO AVOID HAVING PROBLEMS WITH OTHER INTENDING BUYERS SINCE YOUR PAYMENT HAS ALREADY BEEN CONFIRMED.I EXPECT YOU TO KEEP ME INFORMED AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE PAYMENT,SO THAT I WILL INSTRUCT YOU ON WHAT TO DO AND ALSO THE APPROVED AGENT TO SEND THE BALANCE TO.PLEASE GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS MAIL TO CONFIRM THAT YOU GOT MY MAIL.YOU ARE TO CONSIDER YOUR VEHICLE SOLD TO MY CLIENT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND CO-OPERATION.
JOSEPH.

Dear Randy,
Sorry for the delay in gettting back to you, my client suddenly felt sick and we decided to hold on with the transaction, but now he is back on his feet and has instructed me to carry on with the transaction.
He further informed me that payment will get to you on or before friday 8th unfailingly, he advised that you should make the title papers and the vehicle ready for pick up when payment gets to you. Please remember to email as soon as you receive you payment. We sincerely apologise for the delay and hope to have a good business transaction at the end of the day.
Once again, thank you for your understanding, patience and anticipated co-operation.
Best regards,
Joseph.
----------

I began to get suspicious after the second email (I had never officially accepted his offer, although I did give him my address), so I haven't sent any response since the first one - figured I'd just wait to see what he would do next.

My question is: If the police aren't motivated or able to pursue this, what should I do with this "check" when it arrives? Maybe frame it and hang it on the wall as a conversation starter?

FYI - This guy identifies himself as "Edge Garage "

Posted by: Randy at Jul 6, 2005 2:47:38 PM

Wow - I'm glad I found this site. Here is the series of emails I have received from the potential "buyer" of my truck:
----------
Goodmorning Randy,
My regards,
Joseph.

Hello Randy,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND CO-OPERATION.
JOSEPH.

Dear Randy,
Best regards,
Joseph.
----------

I began to get suspicious after the second email (I had never officially accepted his offer, although I did give him my address), so I didn't send any response - figured I'd just wait to see what he would do next.

Posted by: Randy at Jul 6, 2005 2:41:23 PM

This message is for bill, the same scenario happened to my fiance, we received a check for a larger amount than we were selling an item for, i felt it was fishy so we went to a check cashing place to see if they could verify if it was fake or not. I thought the worse that could happen is that the check would be fake and they would tear it up, the check cashing place called the police and my fiance was arrested. Completely ridiculous!!!

Posted by: amy at Jul 5, 2005 4:56:20 PM

I deposited a cashier check in my checking account, and the bank manager called the issuing bank and verified everything on the check, but some how it came back as counterfeit and i'm going to court and maybe prison for fraud dont seem right to me.

Posted by: teddie at Jul 3, 2005 7:05:53 AM

Posted by: teddie at Jul 3, 2005 7:04:26 AM

There are many instances above where replies include that you are out the money you transferred. However if you become aware of the problem before their check finally comes back as uncollectable and you alert your bank of a fraud coming your funds are secure and you, depending on the bank are not liable for the funds. You should have the bank block your account and transfer all your legitimate funds into another account.

Posted by: gary fulmer at Jun 27, 2005 12:37:17 PM

What would happen if you take the check to a Check cashing facility. They usually verify the check on the spot..

Just cash it there and if it is fake then they will tell you.

right??

Posted by: bill at Jun 19, 2005 10:01:46 PM

I still have his check of 3600. Smells a little fishy so I hold on to the check and print out our emails for future reference. His email address no longer exist. What should I do with the check? Any advice on what to do, anyone? Thanks

Posted by: paul at Jun 14, 2005 8:33:54 AM

I had someone from Canada who wanted to buy an expensive pair of Virtual Reality glasses from me. I live in California, U.S. He also said that he wanted to send me $2000 and to wire the difference for my $350 item back to him.

I received the check and called the bank on it and it turned out to be fake. But now I've shredded the check and I can't retrieve it because we took the garbage out Tues. He's also threatened me with the FBI like someone else posted. I told him I destroyed the check and that it was false, but I can't help but wonder if I should have kept the check in tact so it could be used as evidence or something. The guy knows my address, so obviously I'm really nervous.

Posted by: Jonathan Dogey at Jun 8, 2005 2:33:16 PM

These things seem to happen to good people i just got taken for almost $3,000. Martin Kyle is his alleged name (martin4kyle@yahoo.com) if anyone has any deals with this guy cancel asap, i received a fraudulant cashier's check from him and i pulled money out to ship the car i was selling. so needless to say i got nailed. I'm not real sure what to do if anyone has any suggestions email me please @ riverofillusions2004@yahoo.com

Posted by: Dustin French at Jun 8, 2005 6:04:40 AM

Thanks for the mail Jonny. I will buy the Kart alone which is $1,200. I will like to let you know that payment will be made via a cashiers check drawn from a reputable bank in the U.S of of $2,800 by a client of mine in the state as an amount oweing so he said it can only be issued on a single check and can be cashed at any Bank in the States. All i need from you is your full details so i can fax it to my client. If this is accepted by you, kindly mail me back with your details so as to send the payment direct to you Confirm this and mail me back with neccessary deatail. I await your response...
Tracy...
N.B I don't mind the bank to do verifications on the fund. I will wait till the funds is been clearified by the Bank. Thanks....
The details are:
Your Full Name.........
Your Full Address...............
Phone #.................
Tracy Spears

Posted by: John at Jun 5, 2005 7:19:36 PM

MY HUSBAND WAS SELLING HIS CAR AND PUT IT NATION WIDE CLASSIFIEDS.A MAN FROM CANADA CALLED AND SAID HE WOULD PURCHASE IT AND WE SHOULD GET A CASHIER CHECK WITHIN 2 DAYS.WE RECEIVED IT WITH DOUBLE THE AMOUNT.HE WANTED US TO SEND THE DIFFERENCE BACK THAT HIS CLIENT SAID THE SHIPPING AMOUNT TOO.WE TOLD HIM WE HAD TO WAIT TO MAKE SURE THE CASHIER CHECK CLEARED.I WAS SUSPIOUS SO I STARTED INVESTIGATING AND GETTING NEGATIVE DOUBTS ABOUT THIS CASHIER CHECK.HE WAS CONSISTENTLY CALLING UNTIL IT STOPPED.WE HAD ALREADY NOTIFIED THE BANK TO PUT A ALERT AND AND WE CALLED BANK ONE CHASE TO VERIFY .WE FAX THEM ALL THE INFORMATION .WE WERE SMART ABOUT OUT INSTINCT.THEY DIDNT GET US .WITH INFORMATION LIKE THIS AND BANKS GIVING US INFORMATION.WE WERE LUCKY NOT TO SEND THE DIFFERENCE BANK TO THIS MAN.ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS.THANKS PAT & RANDY

Posted by: PAT HILL at May 26, 2005 10:30:45 AM

I wanted everyone to Read this email message from this scam person trying to pull it off w/me:

His name is Felix Henry
email: dudufelix4@yahoo.com

THe following message is what he had sent me regarding the information that he wanted me to mail to:

Hello,
Now that you have the check you can go ahead with the conlusion of this long awaited transaction to end by Deposit the check and wait to clear from your Bank,and as soon as it clear you can send the balance on the check sameday you cash it through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER,below is the information you will need to send the balance on the check:

RECIEVER'S NAME-------Kennedy W. Williams.
ADDRESS --------------19 HOPEWELL STREET.
CITY-------------------VICTORIA ISLAND
STATE------------------LAGOS-STATE
ZIP---------------------23401
COUNTRY-----------------NIGERIA

After you might have deduct money for your Item.You can send the Balance immediately, and email me as well a copy of the transaction you will need to get back to me with this information

1.MTCN--------Money Transfer Control Number
2.SENDER'S NAME AND ADDRESS
3.MONEY SEND AFTER WESTERN UNION CHARGES
4.TEXT QUESTION AND ANSWER.LIKE WHAT IS MY NAME-Kennedy W. Williams. .
Thanks.

Posted by: LD at May 20, 2005 9:54:34 PM

Hmm that seller "Marty Cox" sounds exactly like a certain Mr. "Les Freeman" who tried to scam me around this time of the month too

Infact, that "Hope to read from you soon" and fraud style, horrid grammer, lack of credentials and buisness email is a dead give away...

I suspected him, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and waited for the check to and then cashed a cashier's check for $27,000 and was supposed to moneygram him $7000.

Obviously... I wouldn't since i'm not going to "refund" money i don't even have in my pocket yet, and he soon proceeded to threaten me with the FBI and various other illiterate garble... I will be filling my offical report as soon as i get the fake check back...

Good luck on recovering your funds.

Posted by: Bo Zheng at May 15, 2005 3:38:26 PM

I also had received several e-mails like these in regards to a van I was selling online. about two weeks ago I received two money orders that were fraudulant and yesterday I received a cashiers check that was fraudulant, thanks to websites like these and the news I was smart enough to know better than to even try and cash either of these but there are many people out there who are very unaware and/or very believing becasue they have kind hearts. Somehow someway this needs to get out and reach everyone who could possibly be the next victim.

Posted by: Michelle at Apr 26, 2005 6:26:11 AM

We were WERE taken on a counterfeit Cashiers Check for a Glass table I was selling on E-BAY. It looked "good" to me. Even had the watermarks. We are now going to court against my back since the bank manager approved the Cashiers Check and also, I didn't think anything of it due to the way "Normal" Cashiers Checks are issued. I will advise you all when we are heard by a judge. I offered to pay the bank back the money I kept but, not one penny more since I trusted my banks judgement (and my own) to cash it. Our bank is stating they "Loaned" us the money when in actuality it was a Cashiers Check not a personal check so "loaning" was involved. Will keep you updated. I know what its like to have not many places to go for advice.

Posted by: MZ at Apr 20, 2005 9:20:32 PM

> of $80 and send the excess funds to the
> shipping company who will be coming for the pick up
> via Western Union money transfer,so if you're ok with
> this i'll want you to forward to me your Full
> Name,Contact Address,City,State,Postal Code and Your
> PhoneNumber(Cell Number) where the check will be
> mailed to.Hope to read from you soon.
> Cox...

Posted by: Andrea at Apr 15, 2005 8:51:04 PM

I just got an offer for my futon.
here he is.

> of $80 and send the excess funds to the
> shipping company who will be coming for the pick up
> via Western Union money transfer,so if you're ok with
> this i'll want you to forward to me your Full
> Name,Contact Address,City,State,Postal Code and Your
> PhoneNumber(Cell Number) where the check will be
> mailed to.Hope to read from you soon.
> Cox...

Posted by: Andrea at Apr 15, 2005 8:49:54 PM

I just got an offer like that for my car. I tried to report this to police and FBI, but they don't care unless it is related to terrorism.
Is anyone interested in catching these people?

Posted by: Julia at Apr 6, 2005 2:15:28 PM

Hey I like your site! Identity theft is very common these days. Anything to educate the public is great.

Posted by: scott at Feb 24, 2005 2:49:39 AM

Response to Sandi,

The FDIC only protects your deposits if your bank fails. If you've been a victim of fraud, you should immediately contact your bank's fraud or customer service department. You can also contact your local police department or even the FBI (if the amount is in the thousands of dollars). Don't hesitate--sometimes if you file a claim with your bank soon enough you may have some protection.

See www.scamsafe.com for more info on how to contact the FBI.

Posted by: Tom, Editor of ScamSafe at Dec 2, 2004 4:09:19 PM

What can I do if this has happened to me, and I am now overdrawn can the bank FDIC laws protect me and cover this.

Posted by: Sandi Griffith at Dec 2, 2004 8:34:28 AM